Static routes are stored in a NVRAM variable called static_route. This NVRAM variable is a blank-delimited list of static route entries. Each entry has the following format:
- SUBNET_ADDRESS is the IP subnet address, calculated by applying the netmask to the gateway address, for example.
- SUBNET_MASK is the subnet mask used to disguise which part, of a given IP address, corresponds to the subnet and which part correspond to the host.
- GATEWAY is the IP address of the gateway used to reach the subnet.
- METRIC is the route metric. Routes to the same destination with lower metrics are preferred over those with higher metrics. So, this is usually set to 1 for single-path routes.
- INTERFACE is the interface name used to reach the GATEWAY. Usually it is not needed, as this can be disguised from the current routing table, but the WRT54G implementation of static routes requires this. It is usually vlan0 for LAN-reachable gateways.
During the next boot, the /etc/init.d/S40network initscript will read the static_route NVRAM variable and will inject static entries into the routing table derived from it.
12 thoughts on “Adding static routes to the Linksys WRT54G”
Pingback: Long Distance Wireless Router
whats up there, just became found your blog through yahoo, and found it’s really fun. If you like solar energy take a look at mine!
http://chalcedony2011.narod.ru – buy gemstones forum
Excellent work as always. What I really like about your series are the fact that you are always focused and you bring a point home. Thank you.
Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is excellent blog. An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.
Hey! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the great work!
Phil just FYI the Opposing Views piece is mine from LB/RB (they have my permission). Might be worth going to read the whacko comments though
Pingback: jean richardson
I just couldn’t go away your web site prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info an individual provide to your visitors? Is going to be back frequently to check out new posts
I’ve read some excellent stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much attempt you set to make this type of magnificent informative site.
Hi there very nice site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally…I’m satisfied to search out so many useful information right here within the publish, we’d like develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .
A lot of thanks for your whole work on this web site. My mom delights in going through internet research and it’s easy to see why. We know all about the lively ways you give rewarding suggestions on this web blog and even increase contribution from website visitors on this subject matter and my daughter is certainly learning so much. Take pleasure in the rest of the year. You have been conducting a superb job.